Saturday 19 March 2016

My Windows Phone Key Points

Good day everyone. Today I've decided to share a bit of mobile technology info with you guys. I love the Windows Mobile platform. I explain a few of my reasons in this post. Enjoy!

Cortana in WP8.1 is just awesome and she's beta! I appreciate that she can do so much for me even while she's not "communicating with the internet". I'd anticipate an even better Cortana in W10M. Microsoft, please give her more intuitiveness and please don't remove her ability to search the phone (contacts, apps, text messages, emails, songs). Google tried it with Google Search and it became practically useless for me. I believe what sets the Windows Mobile platform apart is its near digital personal assistant. Continuum shouldn't take away her shine. I have a long list of apps on my phone but I rarely slide over to my menu list or open my People app to open apps or find contacts. Cortana does all that for me! All I do is press the search button FROM ANY WHERE ON THE PHONE and give Cortana commands and I get my desired results and get them faster.

Windows Phone might not be up to the big bosses yet but it sure does make planning and organizing the important things in my everyday life easier. I don't regret switching from Android. I still keep an Android though; some apps just don't have equivalents on WP yet e.g. OliveTree Bible+, Medhand handbooks, Medscape, Mobisystems's dictionaries, etc (BBM on WP is appalling to say the least. The experience is WAY BETTER on Android). Regardless of the apps deficit, once your can good functional alternatives to apps you use, you can have a phenomenal experience on the Windows Phone. It's simply...different. And trust me, Cortana is worth your switch. She's more than a search engine, she makes things happen! 

Asides planning and organization, the other reason I like my Lumia so much is its battery life! Compared to Androids with similar specs, the WP outperforms in power efficiency, but this comes at a price--multitasking. The Android takes multitasking to the extreme, most times behaving like a Windows desktop OS, where virtually every app can be running at the same time, thus the need to make faster processors and larger RAMs. WP on the other hand is really conservative--only a meagre 30 apps can be allowed to run in the background. Putting into consideration that Music, Calendar, Cortana, Internet Explorer, Gadgets, Store, FM Radio, OneDrive, Skype, Weather (which all come pre-installed) run in the background, then that cap is quite low. Please note that you can allow or disallow any app from running in the background (as long as the app supports background running).

It's a only a matter of time before you get used to either black or white on WP. It keeps the UI of the OS simple and clean. I'm really hoping Windows 10 Mobile builds on the strengths of Windows Phone 8.1. From experience, whenever the name changes with Microsoft, the intended sequel most often than not becomes a new series rather than a continuation/build up. If you were around when Windows Mobile 6.5 became Windows Phone 7, you'd understand what I mean. Then, Windows Mobile, the mobile platform with so much app solutions, became Windows Phone that was begging developers to make apps for it. So, Microsoft, make us happy and give a worthy hardware and OS update to the Lumia 640 XL experience which isn't stellar but is a step in the right direction.

For those not sure what the Windows Phone has to offer you can buzz me, or Google it up. Whichever you choose, I'd be sure to make a review of my Lumia soon.

Windows 10 is exciting! My hope is Windows 10 Mobile will be a maturation of Windows Phone 8.1 and bring with it the beauty and smooth feel of Windows 10.


Confused with the different terms, this would help you:
- WP7/8/8.1 - Windows Phone 7/Windows Phone 8/Windows Phone 8.1
- W10M - Windows 10 Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment